You can print off this Library Use Request Form. complete it, and fax it to the library at 705-272-4165.
BELOW IS IN EFFECT AS OF JANUARY 1, 2017.
For current definitions re: Profit and Non-Profit organization, please contact the library.
- Non-Profit – Providing services or products to the community with no expectation of financial gain to its directors, members or officers. A Non-Profit may generate revenue, but only if the revenue goes back into the organization to further its aims and projects.
- Sports or athletic,
- Social Clubs
- Community Service Clubs (for example Lions or Scouts)
- Cultural groups or organizations (for example theatre, dance, music)
- Educational and literary societies
If Non-Profit organizations are charging admission or advertising “admission by donation”, “donation suggested” or fund raising in library facilities, then the “For Profit” room rental fees will apply.
- For-Profit – Conducting business by way of promoting a business, holding interviews for job positions, and, or where a financial gain expected.
- Businesses – Large or small, Retail, Homebased on Online
- Government offices and agencies at the Federal, Provincial, and Municipal levels.
Some rooms of the Cochrane Public Library are available for public gatherings of a non-profit, for-profit, civic, cultural, or educational purpose when the room is not otherwise being used for library programing. Use of these rooms must take place within regular library hours and in a responsible manner resulting in no undue labour, cost or interference with library activity.
The library board reserves the right to review all applications and may require sufficient time to properly review the application before granting approval. Examples of acceptable uses:
- Religious and partisan political activties, to avoid the appearance of an endorsement by the library.
Fees and Liabilities
- The Library charges a half day rate of $35.00 or a full day rate of $70.00 per For-Profit use of its rooms. This fee is waived for Non-Profit organizations unless they are charging admission, advertising “admission by donation”, “donation suggested” or fund raising in library facilities. If this is the case, then the “For Profit” room rental fee will apply.
- The Library rooms may only be used or rented by outside organizations or groups during regular library hours due to liability issues.
- Charges may apply for any damages to or loss of library property and a fee charged for janitorial service that may be required if the room is left in a messy condition.
- The library is not liable for injuries to people or damage to property of organizations using the room.
Guidelines for room use:
- Library programs take precedence over any other library room activities.
- Only light refreshments or luncheons may be served. No alcoholic beverages are permitted. Any library room must be left free of debris, left overs, waste etc. The library provides no equipment or services for the serving of refreshments or luncheons.
- The Library will not provide any presentation equipment such as projector, screen, computers or flipcharts.
- Smoking is prohibited in the interior of the library. Any smoking must be outside six meters beyond the perimeter of the library building entrance. (Municipal By-Law #961-2013)
- Each group using a library room is responsible for setting up the room and returning it to its original condition with tables and chairs folded (if possible) and stored against the wall. Lights are to be turned off at the conclusion of the meeting.
- The library is unable to provide storage space for groups using a room, and any food, beverages or personal items are not permitted to be left in the room.
Reservations and cancellations:
- Requests for the use of the room must be done so by completing the Library Room Use Request Form available at the circulation desk or from the library website.
- Requests will be considered on a first come, first served basis.
- In the event of an emergency, the library reserves the right to cancel prior room reservations without notice, such as inclement weather, road closures or unsafe building conditions.
- Library staff should be notified as soon as possible if a scheduled room use has been cancelled by the applicant.
- Library staff is not responsible for promotion, notification, or cancellation of any scheduled event.