Donations are only accepted during branch open hours.
What you need to know:
CPL only accepts material that can be resold or used in our collection. Donated items must meet the following criteria:
- We only accept donations during library hours. Please do not leave donations outside or in the entry. Bring them to the front desk and notify us.
- Material must be in very good condition and less than five years old (preferably)
- Only English, French and Cree books, CDs and DVDs will be accepted. For books, we prefer popular fiction and nonfiction in hardcover, mass market and trade paperbacks
- Any other material, including old magazines, computer books older than 5 years, textbooks and encyclopedias will not be accepted by staff
If your materials don’t meet these criteria please consider donating them to other non-profit organization such as the Foodbank or Churches.
Please note that we do not issue tax receipts for donations.
What We Accept
Items should be in good condition and of current interest.
What We Do Not Accept
- Moldy, yellowed or marked material
- Audio cassettes
- Video cassettes
What Happens to Donated Materials?
All gifts become the property of the Cochrane Public Library. The library reserves the right to decide what we do with the gifts we receive. Material that is not needed for the collection may be sold for the benefit of the library.
All donated material is considered according to the same selection criteria applied to purchased materials. Processing costs and storage space are considerations.